Thursday, May 5, 2016

Is "Gauge" Important in Crochet? | Posh Pooch Designs

When I first began learning to crochet,
 I had no idea what gauge was.
After I learned a few stitches, and techniques,
 I realized it is important, even in Crochet.


"Crochet Gauge is the number of stitches across per inch, 

and the number of Rows down per inch,

 when stitching a swatch, to check for tension." 


Usually the Yarn label will indicate the Swatch to be

Stitched in Single Crochet Stitches (sc). 


Here is one I photographed from a yarn label.




On This Yarn Label


9 Single Crochet Stitches across, for 12 Rows
will equal a 4 x 4 inch square swatch,

or a 10 x 10 centimeter square.



But Why is this information important?


You can see this Video on my Youtube Channel at this LINK

1. It gives you an indication of how you crochet and what your tension is.
 If your swatch is too small, you stitch tightly, 
and if your swatch is too big you crochet loosely. 
Therefore you will want adjust your tension and to try to match the
 gauge indicated by the yarn.


Do you know that your emotions

 can effect your gauge?

If you are upset, tired, happy, sad, worried, excited
 or stressed your tension can change. 
So take that into account when gauge swatching.

2. When you are following a pattern, where gauge is important,
you want to match the gauge of the pattern, or your item will not
 be the same size as the pattern states.
Designers, like me, do not always want you to use the hook size 
suggested by the Yarn label.


There are times gauge is not important.

For instance I do not care if my coaster is a little big, 
or my Crochet flower is a little small.
Also, there will be times a designer will state it is not important.
Some open stitches, and items are really hard to set a gauge, and usually a finished measurement will be given.

3. It is important to use the Crochet Hook indicated by the designer
 of the pattern you are using, If you want your item to turn out the same.
I also measure as I go, and not wait till the time is finished.

Here are 3 swatches I stitched with 

3 different yarns and 3 different Crochet Hooks.

10 single Crochet Stitches for 10 Rows.
(10 sc X 10 R)


Just as an example of how important it is to use
 the Hook indicated by the designer for a Pattern,
 for best results.

Pin Cushion Coffee Cup Crochet Pattern LINK
 - another Blog About Tension
Watch Your Gauge and 
get rid of your Tension!

No comments: