Saturday, December 13, 2014

What Is A "Turning Chain" And How Do I Use It?

I get this question a lot.
So, I thought I would explain what it is 
and why I use it.

First of all, 
Those who know me, 
and know my patterns...
understand that I do not 
stay within the "norms" of 
Crochet pattern writing.

I design my own way and 
what works best for my patterns.
not what others think I should do.
Just thought I would put that out there! 

What is a turning chain - 
It is simply a chain made at the end of a row, 
for the purpose of making the turn,
 to the next row, lay smoothly.
 A Sc Swatch I made, 
 It is always understood to 
do a turning ch with sc.

But, I actually use the ch1, turn , 
which is the Turning chain, 
every time I want a smooth turn, 
no matter the stitch  being used.

I know that is crazy of me!

I do it because it
It leaves a smooth edge, not a hole.
Now, let me show you why:
These are 2 Hdc Swatches 
I  made to show the difference.
The one on the top left is ch1, turn (turning chain).
The one on the lower right is the ch2, turn.

The Standard is to Ch2 at the end
 of the hdc row.
But you can see that it leaves a hole, 
and is not a smooth turn.

These are 2 DC Swatches 
I made to show the difference.
The Standard is to Ch3 for Dc,
 at the end of the row.

The one on the top left is ch1, turn
 (turning chain).
The one on the lower right is the ch3, turn.
But you can see that it leaves a big hole, 
and is not a smooth turn.

If you ch 3, turn,
it makes it really hard to get a smooth edge, 
and really difficult  to put a border on, also.

"Ch1, turn, make your 1st stitch,
 in the 1st stitch of the next row,
and you will never have a hole".

This is the same for taller stitches, like Tr,
 as well, 
the taller the stitch the bigger the holes get.

Like I said, I love to use the turning ch, 
no matter the stitch I use, 
when stitching in rows,
 to get a smooth edge.

No comments: